It’s Time You Tried Meditating
I’ve always looked kind of funny at the practice of meditation. When I heard the word I usually conjured up images of yogis, hippies and the new age movement. After years of reading about the benefits I decided to give it a try. I recently read a book called 10% Happier: How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help That Actually Works–A True Story by Dan Harris which got the ball rolling for me.
Mediation has numerous benefits and many have been scientifically verified.
On a physical level, meditation:
- Lowers high blood pressure
- Lowers the levels of blood lactate, reducing anxiety attacks
- Decreases any tension-related pain, such as, tension headaches, ulcers, insomnia, muscle and joint problems
- Increases serotonin production that improves mood and behavior
- Improves the immune system
- Increases the energy level, as you gain an inner source of energy
Mental benefits of meditation
- Anxiety decreases
- Emotional stability improves
- Creativity increases
- Happiness increases
- Intuition develops
- Gain clarity and peace of mind
- Problems seem smaller
To start meditating, first find a nice quiet, comfortable place to sit with very little distractions. I’ve found the best position is sitting with good posture and a straight back. Close your eyes and slowly count to twenty while breathing through your nose in a calm relaxing manner. With each exhale feel the tension leave your your body. Concentrate on your breathing and your mind will start to quiet down. If any thoughts come into your mind just acknowledge them and let them go by. Try to go ten minutes a day or more at first and then slowly over time stretch the length of your meditation. After a couple weeks you’ll start to notice the effects. You will be more calm and less stressed out.
I’m a new comer to mediation but I can honestly say it has helped me relax more. And when I mediate on a regular basis I sleep better, and we all know how important sleep is right? Good luck to you in your mediation and if you can, let me know how you’re doing and how it affects your life.
Resources For You:
- 10% Happier: How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help That Actually Works–A True Story
- Change Your Brain, Change Your Life: The Breakthrough Program for Conquering Anxiety, Depression, Obsessiveness, Anger, and Impulsiveness
- New York Insight Meditation Center: How To Meditate
- GAIAMLife: Meditation Techniques
- How To Meditate – The Ultimate Guide
Share This Post